Teeth that are abnormally positioned or not aligned properly when your jaw is shut is a condition known as malocclusion. Some examples of this include crowded teeth, crossbites, underbites, and overbites. Many people think that teeth correction, or orthodontic treatment, is simply an aesthetic choice but, the truth is, it goes far beyond that.
There are numerous health benefits to correcting malocclusion through orthodontic treatment. These benefits include:
- Better oral hygiene. Straight teeth are easier to brush and floss properly, reducing the risk of gum disease, tooth decay, and tooth loss.
- Prevents tooth damage. Misaligned teeth can put unnecessary pressure on your teeth which can lead to fractures and enamel wear.
- Improved jaw joint function. When the upper and lower teeth are aligned properly, there is less risk of temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD), as well as headaches and muscle strain.
- Effective chewing. An aligned bite makes chewing food much easier.
In addition to these health benefits, there is the added bonus of looking and feeling great with a healthy, straight smile! At Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, we are proud to offer our patients the very best in orthodontic treatment using clear aligners. Unlike traditional metal braces, clear aligners are discreet and nearly invisible. They also have the advantage of being removable which means you won’t have to worry about food restrictions.
How the Orthosnap process works:
If you’re interested in improving your smile with Orthosnap clear aligners, the process is quick and easy!
- Consultation — Our first step is to make sure you are an eligible candidate for clear aligners. We examine things like gum health, misalignment, and crowding to determine a custom treatment plan for you.
- Impressions — Next, we’ll make an impression of your teeth, along with several digital images, that will be used to produce your customized aligners.
- Fittings — Once your aligners are made, we want to make sure they fit you properly. We typically ask patients to wear each set for 20-22 hours every day and switch them out every week. After 5-6 weeks, it’s time to pick up a new set of aligners and examine your smile for progress!
For more information on clear aligners and orthodontic treatment, please call us at 804-746-5327 to schedule an appointment.